Electrolyzed water is the general term referring to any solution produced by the electrolysis of water containing an electrolyte, such as sodium chloride, potassium chloride or dilute hydrochloric acid. The acidic electrolyzed water, which contains constituents with sanitizing and deodorizing effects, is produced at the anode. While at the cathode, the alkaline electrolyzed water, which contains constituents with strong cleansing effects against protein, fat and oil, is produced. Depending on the choice of electrolyte and the electrolysis methods, potable electrolyzed water can also be generated.
The acidic electrolyzed water has received approval and has been certified in the medical field under the name, strong acidic electrolyzed water, and in the field of food and food products under the name, hypochlorous acid water, by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Furthermore, in the field of agriculture, it has been approved and specified as a Designated Harmless Agricultural Chemical, under the name, electrolytic hypochlorous acid water, by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries and the Ministry of the Environment.
To avoid confusion in the market, the Japanese Electrolyzed Water Association reached a unanimous agreement to conform with the names assigned by the government in each field, in lieu of continuing the use of specific names previously existing in the electrolyzed water industry.
About the Safety of Electrolyzed Water
The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (Food Additive・Disinfectant) “Hypochlorous Acid Water”
PFSB/ELD Notification No. 0327004
“In regards to electrolyzed water, it is permissible to be designated as a food additive, as it is found to pose no hazard to human health.”
The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries・the Ministry of the Environment (Designated Harmless Agricultural Chemical) “Electrolytic Hypochlorous Acid Water”
“Agricultural chemicals designated by the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries and the Minister of the Environment as those that are, based on their raw materials, clearly unlikely to be harmful to crops, etc., humans, livestock, and aquatic animals and plants.”
The History of Public Certification of Electrolyzed Water
- 1995 Alkaline ionized water generators were approved as medical substance generators
- 1996 Disinfectant apparatus using strong acidic electrolyzed water approved as medical device
- 1997 Flexible endoscope disinfecting and cleaning devices using strong acidic electrolyzed water approved as medical devices
Food / Food Products Field
- 06/10/2002 Designated as a food additive (Official Gazette No. 3378 MHLW Notification No.212)
- 04/26/2012 Revision of standards for food additive (expansion of pH value range, etc.) (Official Gazette Extra No. 96 MHLW Notification No. 345)
★ 05/18/2012 Revision of hygiene management manual for large scale cooking facilities (DFS / SED Notification No. 0518 Article 1)
- 12/13/2013 Revision of hygiene standards for pickles (DFS / ISD Notification No. 1213 Article 2)
- 04/24/2014 Use in fresh fish and shellfish for raw consumption, including oysters and frozen seafood (limited to frozen seafood for raw consumption) and in retort pouch foods (DFS / SED Notification No. 0424 Article 1)
- 10/27/2006 Revision of Japanese Agricultural Standard for organic processed foods (MAFF Notification No. 1464)
- 03/28/2012 Revision of Japanese Agricultural Standard for organic agricultural products (MAFF Notification No. 833)
- 03/28/2014 Specified as Designated Harmless Agricultural Chemical (Official Gazette No.68 MAFF / MOE Notification No.2)
JEWA is promoting the use of electrolyzed water in the hygiene management of the athletes’ village and kitchen in the 2020 Tokyo Olympic・Paralympic Games.
The association continues to engage actively in negotiating the use of electrolyzed water and contributes to achieving an environmentally friendly Tokyo Para−Olympics.
Japan Green-Agriculture Club
JEWA has established the “Japan Green-Agriculture Club” to promote the use of designated harmless agricultural chemical, Electrolytic Hypochlorous Acid Water, in achieving safe and reliable agriculture. The association aids and supports all electrolyzed water user members.